Saturday, October 1, 2011

October is National Dessert & Apple Month!

I love the month of October in the South! We have beautiful Fall like weather. I especially love being able to change up the wardrobe a bit with all the accessories of scarves, jeans, blouses, and furry boots. Then there's Oktoberfest in Helen, apple picking and hiking through the mountains during the day without having to worry about sweating through your clothes, or taking a drive down to Savannah for a few days to see the true beauty of this city during all the Fall festivities, not to mention the pumpkin carving parties, and dressing up for Halloween-- but then there's all the BAKING that comes with this month! I don't know about you but I love anything Apple & Spice!  Wheather it's a apple pie, caramel candied apples, drinking apple cinnamon tea, or even better-- eating a melt-in-your-mouth apple cinnamon CUPCAKE.

Candied Apples & Apple Pie were childhood favorites of mine, and I knew the only way I would be happy with it as a cupcake was if I could really taste the combination of crisp streusel crumbs, tart apples, and the buttery caramel drizzle made from scratch. ~elc's~ Apple Cinnamon Streusel cupcakes smell just as good as a pie baking in the oven. Just imagine filling an apple pie with all the granny smith apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and brown sugar. While I chop the apples up really fine and cook all this down over the stove; the cinnamon cupcakes are baking in the oven, after I have pulled them out, and they have cooled, I cut out the centers and fill the cupcakes with the apple filling. Nope. I can't buy the apple fillings that are in a can which you see in the grocery store. Yuck!  The taste of high fructose corn syrup & aluminum is not what I'm going for.  After I have filled each and every cupcake, I frost with a cinnamon cream cheese and top with the streusel crumbs & caramel drizzle with a slice of granny smith apple as the garnish. This cupcake is my personal Fall favorite and I hope everyone who trys it loves it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment