Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Candied Sweet Potato

I remember the first time I walked into Gigi's cupcakes I really didn't know what to expect.  The first 2 cupcakes I ever ordered was the hunka chunka banana love & candied sweet potato.  This was the beginning of February and I was looking for a good cupcake shop to order some more cupcakes for Valentine's Day as a surprise to my husband for our dessert! Well let me tell you, despite the fact Yes--they put entirely TOO much frosting on their cupcakes, I was very happy with the sweet potato one along with the too much frosting they had put on.  I love anything banana so that was a no brainer, and I couldn't wait to try that one as well.  I was soo curious about this other unique flavor though I just couldn't resist.  My plan was to give half to my husband and try his banana half.  Well I ate the whole thing and wanted like 3 more after.  I said, "Sorry hunny I just couldn't stop, so I guess I'm not gonna try yours because that wouldn't be really fair."  I still to this day have not had the chance to try their hunka chunka banana love.  People talk about how good carrot cake cupcakes are and I don't deny that this spice cake has such an addicting & alluring flavor that you could just keep eating them.   Seriously though--try a candied sweet potato anytime you see one on the menu.   Honestly, I like them BETTER than carrot cake.  It is a very similar recipe, but it's cake is made with fresh sweet potatoes, the cream cheese frosting has more of a stronger cinnamon flavor in it and topped with candied pecans & toasted mini marshmallows, you really can't go wrong.  Sweet potato in a cupcake you might ask?  I'm telling you-- It's soo moist the cake melts in your mouth and ALL the flavors come together as they should in a cupcake.  I could eat this flavor ANY time of the year, it's divine.  Period.  I haven't had the chance to make it yet, but trust me I am looking forward to it!  Oh and I did go back to Gigi's for Valentine's Day.  I ordered a chocolate salted caramel & white chocolate macadamia.  Both too were very good flavors.  But NOTHING like the candied sweet potato ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment