Sunday, November 8, 2015

Eat Pray Love

I own the movie but decided I would start reading the book. Hey, why not? Perfect time of the year to start reading this fascinating adventure! In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want-husband, country home, successful career-but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This book is the story of how she left behind all those outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence. In the movie they really couldn't have picked a better person to play the role. The Oscar Winner Julia Roberts, formally a Smyrna, Georgia native. She has always been one of my favorite actresses. Down to earth, under the radar, loves to be with her family, her husband a great Cinematographer. She was also featured in last months issue of Allure and says in her interview, "I have a huge amount of giggly gratitude for what I've accomplished in my work, but I have a pretty clear perspective about it. It's not the defining aspect of my personality." Roberts says over lunch at a Malibu restaurant. As for the public's interest in her family, "Every day isn't exactly how we hope it turns out in that respect of being... viewed, as it were. But we're lucky that our life is relatively quiet." If I were ever famous, this is exactly how I would want my life. Far from that of the, well, Kardashians. I'm really really looking forward to seeing her new movie, "Secret in Their Eyes," which comes out on November 19th, costarring Nicole Kidman and Chiwetel Ejiofor. In this thriller, Roberts plays a rising FBI investigator whose life unravels after the brutal murder of someone she loves- her daughter and who, years later, sets off on a quest for justice. The role was an intense emotional workout for Roberts, who felt fortunate to have her Husband on the set as the film's cinematographer. She goes on to explain that she's not sure she could have been successful in the efforts of playing that role if her Husband hadn't been there. There's something about having the safest place in the world for you in the same room. I couldn't agree more. Another thing I noticed during her interview when asked the question, if you could be famous in a different way, what would you want to be known for? She replies, "I would be a great writer or painter. It's the CREATING something out of nothing that I find astounding." Then it really hit me, there's that word AGAIN and I see what my problem is. I'm not so much of a painter, never really have been very good at drawing or painting objects, people or buildings. I could do a flower but that's about it. I'm far more into the art of Hair, Food and Writing. If I could be a chemist I would CREATE scents for perfume! Now that would be fun :) Creating something out of nothing. Ok, enough of that, it's back to reading my book and winding down before getting ready for Monday's mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment